NOTE: I have modified my recipe for Grain Free Blueberry Muffins to make it compliant with the HCG Maintenance Protocol. The muffins will not have the crumb topping, but this can be added during week 4. Please refer to the Grain Free Blueberry Muffin recipe when you have completed maintenance.
As we entered the grocery store last week the D-Man’s face lit up when he spotted a display of Organic Blueberries. “Mommy, can we have these as a treat?” I know, blueberries are not in season, but one look at his face and I added them to our shopping cart. I knew the blueberries would more than likely be tasteless, but I took a chance. I’d much rather the D-Man snack on organic blueberries than the brightly colored, high fructose corn syrup laden Easter candy that was displayed next to the berries. In case you’re wondering, the D-Man didn’t ask if we could purchase the candy, he knew the answer once he read the ingredients label on the package. He simply said “YUK”, like only an 8 year old boy can do, and put the package back on the display. Teaching your children to read labels is a double edged sword. The positive; you are empowering your child to make healthy and safe decisions about food. The negative; the D-Man typically asks if I can re-create that item without the offending ingredients, but then again, is that really a negative?
When we arrived home we washed and tasted a few of the blueberries and I could see the disappointment on my sons face….They were rather tasteless. The D-Man suggested that we use the rest of the berries to make Grain Free Blueberry Muffins, and that is precisely what we did. The muffin produced is dense, flavorful, full of protein, and we were able to make good use of the bland organic blueberries.
- 1 1/2 Cups of Blanched Almond Flour (plus 3 Tablespoons reserved)
- 10-15 drops of liquid Stevia
- 3 Pastured Eggs
- ¼ Cup melted Pastured Butter or Ghee
- Filtered Water (as needed to reach a pourable consistency)
- 1 to 1 ¼ Cups Fresh Organic Blueberries or Organic Frozen Blueberries
- ½ teaspoon Aluminum Free Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Aluminum Free Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Organic Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Organic Ground Ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a muffin tin with butter or coconut oil.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients and blend with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Add water a tablespoon at a time to thin the batter.
- Add the blueberries and stir gently to incorporate into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into greased muffin tins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.