It had been one of those really long weeks, and the D-Man suggested we celebrate the coming weekend with a Friday night pizza extravaganza. He not only wanted grain free pizza for dinner, but suggested we have a pizza for desert. We had not done any baking for several weeks, so I thought a healthy treat was in order. I asked him what this desert pizza should have for toppings and of course he said chocolate. We decided to use our Cappello’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough for the base, and then we got creative! This pizza is free of gluten, grains, refined sugars, and it’s also vegan….bonus for all of you with egg allergies!
- 1 package of Cappello’s Grain Free, Vegan, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, or your favorite grain free chocolate chip cookie dough.
- ¼ Cup Coconut Butter (Not Coconut Oil)
- ¼ Cup Coconut Milk
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons Coconut Nectar (you can substitute raw honey or maple syrup)
- 3 teaspoons Organic Peppermint Extract or 10 drops of Food Grade Peppermint Essential Oil. (I use Young
- Living Essential Oils and combined the Extract and Oil for added flavor)
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed Organic Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips (Enjoy Life or other high quality chocolate)
- 2 Tablespoons Pastured Butter or Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Organic Coconut Chips (toasted)
- ¼ to ½ Cup Chocolate Chips for garnish
Bring your Cappello’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough to room temperature.
Press the dough evenly into your pizza pan (I used a 10 inch stainless steel pizza pan).
Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 10 minutes (until the edges just begin to brown)
Remove the cookie/pizza from the oven.
Once you remove the chocolate chip pizza from the oven, place the coconut chips on a baking sheet and toast until golden. Remember to watch them carefully as they can burn quickly. With the oven temperature set at 375 degrees F. this step may only take 2 or 3 minutes.
Remove the coconut chips from the oven and sprinkle with a little sea salt and set aside.
In a small sauce pan over low heat warm the coconut butter, coconut milk, lemon juice, honey, and peppermint extract until melted and well blended.
Remove from heat and cool for several minutes, then pour over the chocolate chip pizza. Spread evenly with a spatula or the back of a spoon and place the pizza in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
OPTIONAL: The D-Man garnished the top of the glaze with extra desiccated coconut.
NOTE: If the sauce is too runny you can add a bit more coconut butter, or thicken with a bit of unsweetened desiccated coconut. If the sauce is too thick you can thin it with a little coconut milk.
In a small sauce pan melt the chocolate and butter (or coconut oil) over low heat.
OPTIONAL: You can add more Peppermint Extract/Essential Oil to the chocolate sauce….we did!
Remove the pizza from the refrigerator when the coconut glaze has set.
Pour the chocolate sauce over the coconut glaze and sprinkle with the toasted coconut chips and chocolate chips.
Place the pizza back into the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
Wrap leftovers in an airtight container, or freeze (yes, it freezes beautifully). Most importantly be creative, and use your favorite toppings; making a desert pizza should be fun!